Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Harwich is No Place for Hate!


No Place For Hate Coalition of Harwich







Goals

* To Build a community of tolerance, respect and acceptance in the Town of Harwich
* To Promote individual responsibility for supporting diversity and eliminating prejudice and bias
* To Promote community awareness and unity concerning the Coalition's goals

No Place for Hate Coalition - Harwich, MA

Select a Pledge, or we can have students create "their own pledge" for Harwich!



Resolution of Respect #1

I pledge from this day forward to do my best to combat prejudice and to stop those who, because of hate or ignorance, would hurt anyone or violate their civil rights.

I will try at all times to be aware of my own biases and seek to gain understanding of those who I perceive as being different from myself.

I will speak out against all forms of prejudice and discrimination.

I will reach out to support those who are targets of hate.

I will think about specific ways my community members can promote respect for people and create a prejudice-free zone.

I firmly believe that one person can make a difference and that no person can be an "innocent" bystander when it comes to opposing hate.

I recognize that respecting individual dignity, achieving equality and promoting intergroup harmony are the responsibilities of all people.

By signing this pledge, I commit myself to creating a Harwich community that is No Place for Hate!





Resolution of Respect #2

I pledge from this day onward to do my best to interrupt prejudice and to stop those whom, because of hate would hurt, harass or violate the civil right of anyone.

I will try at all times to be aware of my own biases against people who are different from myself.

I will ask questions about cultures, religions, and races that I don't understand. I will speak out against anyone who mocks, seeks to intimidate or actually hurts anyone of a different race, religion, ethnic group, or sexual orientation.

I will reach out to support those who are targets of harassment.

I will think about specific ways my community can promote respect for people and create a prejudice-free zone.

I firmly believe that one person can make A World of Difference and that no person can be an "innocent bystander" when it comes to opposing hate.

By signing this pledge, I recognize that for individual dignity, achieving equality, and opposing anti-Semitism, racism, ethnic bigotry, homophobia, or any other form of hatred is a non-negotiable responsibility of all people.




NOW WE CHOOSE THREE ACTIVITIES TO BUILD AROUND~

The local committee chooses three activities from among the items listed below and completes them within the year.

1. Orientation
Create a school orientation program for students that addresses the needs of students of all backgrounds so that they feel welcome when joining the student body.

2. Discussion in Schools
Have teachers spend one full class period discussing anti-Semitism, racism, prejudice, stereotypes, scapegoating, discrimination, ethnocentrism, ableism, sexism, homophobia, and bias. Have all students sign a proclamation, to be displayed in a prominent place, declaring that they will actively challenge hate and bigotry in all forms.

3. A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE® Institute

a. Schools:
Educators, administrators and staff at all primary and secondary schools take part in ADL's six-hour anti-bias and diversity training program.

b. Peer Training
Implement the anti-bias Peer Training Program in one of your schools.


4. A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE® Day
Suspend regular classes for a day and invite community members and leaders to speak about and explore issues of diversity with students.

No comments: